Friday, December 5, 2014

Prompt # 65 - University

Prompt # 65 - University

University of Manitoba Bachelor of Arts with a double major in English and history
Certificate in Education (teacher training)
Master of Arts in English (Canadian literature)




I recently watched Bill Moyers interview American writer Marilynne Robinson who stressed the error of thinking that education is there to serve employers. That the goal of all education is to develop all aspects of the individual – not limited to employment skills. I loved going to university and notice myself wanting to return to it every time I am facing a major life change. I am grateful that I had the luxury of being able to study subjects and topics which interested me personally, and which still interest me today. Reading. Writing. Creativity. Psychology. Linguistics. History. Political Science. My true passion, Geology. And Canadiana.



Geologists can tell where this chunk of obsidian was mined, and thus retrace the First Nations' trade routes. This sample is in the National Historic Site at Fort Langley, BC, a former Hudson's Bay Company trading post, which offered new weapons and tools to First Nations traders in exchange for the furs, salmon, game, and berries they brought in, and the baskets and blankets they wove.



No comments:

Post a Comment