Sunday, March 16, 2014

Prompt # 29 - Carry All - What's In Your Bag?

Prompt # 29 - Carry All - What's In Your Bag?

I never leave the house without my bag, even if I'm just going for a walk. I have several, which I change for the seasons. Always a shoulder bag. Often received as gifts. The winter black, from Molly. The feathered blue, from Candace. The striped blue, from Karen. The gold one I found at a garage sale. I prefer fabric or leather.




I carry a shoulder bag in order to keep all the things I need together and accessible. My keys for house, car, mailboxes are in an outside pocket or attached to the handle by a safety hook. My billfold wallet with cash, drivers licence, ID, health card, bank cards, credit cards, business cards, numbers, etc. My blue beaded heart change purse found at a garage sale. Cell phone. Calendar. Pen and note pad. Hairbrush and comb. Cough drops and/or breath mints. Lip balm. A flashdrive. Can't remember if it is my trip pics or my CanLit presentation. My digital camera. Extra batteries and memory card. My tablet which I use mainly for taking photos. (There is free wi-fi up town.) Each of these in pink paisley quilted cases made by my friend Joyce. Gloves. Toque or beret. Sunglasses. Sun screen. Umbrella. This is BC. We have “Irish” weather, when it is not snowing. On longer trips, I'll include a thermos of water, and a skinny pocket book to read if I have to wait (or I can download books on my tablet). On Thursdays, my Scrabble dictionary. A quick check reveals: car insurance documents, coupons, shopping lists, map, and a metal art trading card case. Forgot about that. It did cause some concern the last time I went through the airport scanner.

I do hate having to dig around in the dark trying to retrieve something in the bottom of the bag. But, as an exercise in personal archaeology, what does this inventory reveal? Lifestyle and concerns. Security. Transportation. Communication. A sense of identity—who I am, what interests me. Words. Images. Ideas. Travel. And a circle of generous friends. I've said this before too. I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Quite an interesting assortment, with clues to some of your interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete